Books vs eBooks: Which is right for you?
There’s a lot of discussion about whether eBooks or traditional books are more popular. Some news outlets are reporting that eBook sales are falling and that people are returning to traditional books (NY Times), while others are saying that eBooks now reign supreme (Fortune). It’s hard to gauge which is the market leader.
So instead, when evaluating books vs eBooks, you should really consider which is right for you and your business.
To make this determination we’ve put together a pros and cons list for both books and eBooks:
Pros of books
● Publishing a traditional book is very prestigious, thus it gives your brand much stronger market credibility
● If your book is published by a publisher, there are no upfront costs to you
● You are more likely to receive awards, accolades, and notoriety with a traditional book than an eBook
Cons of books
● You may not attract the interest of a publisher, meaning you will have to take on the heavy costs of self-publishing
● Books take a long time to write and publish, so your content may be out of date by the time your book hits the shelves
● If you work with a publishing house, you may lose creative control over the final published product
Pros of eBooks
● Depending on your outlet, there is zero publishing overhead
● Since eBooks are easier to distribute, you have the potential to reach a much larger audience
● You will have full creative control, so you can represent your brand how you see fit
Cons of eBooks
● Without a publisher, you will have to promote the book entirely by yourself
● The market is saturated with eBooks, so it is very hard to stand out from the crowd
● There is a high risk of plagiarism with self-publishing, so your content may be stolen
There are advantages and disadvantages to both traditional and eBooks. Since both have a great reach, you should consider what you really want to accomplish with your book. However, in either case you will need a great editor to proof your content, layout your book, and promote your work. This is where ALHAUS comes in. Regardless if you want to publish a traditional book or an eBook, we can help make sure your book is a success. So contact us today!