Email marketing is one of the most powerful and cost-effective tools for organisations to reach customers and prospects with greater impact. If done well, it’s a unique opportunity for businesses to keep people engaged and encourage them to act.
Bottom Line Benefits
It drives customer acquisition and retention in that if your email provides the right value, it can directly impact your bottom line. It's also a superb way to offer exclusivity.
Characteristic Communication Challenges
Emails and ezines continue to be an outstanding customer communications tool despite the challenges of deliverability, desirability, inbox cut-through and member listlessness.
Return on Investment (ROI)
It remains one of the highest converters and largest contributors to ROI. When practised properly, it’s the only method of digital marketing that compares to Search in terms of ROI.
Whether your emails are used for brand awareness, signups, news updates or promotion, you need to be segmenting, targeting, and personalising them to the right group of people.
Split openers and clickers into groups
- By location
- Geographic area of interest
- Can test pushing them one way or another to convert
Specialists - seekers, supporters, events attendees etc
- Accept what they want to engage in
- Send them specific emails with subtle cross-selling
- Be relevant and engaging
Know Your Audience
Build your list the “opt-in” way. You must get permission to send someone a marketing email; if not, you are a spammer! Customers must agree (opt-in) to be involved in your marketing activities by email, social networks or traditional channels in return for the value offered.
- Keep it short i.e. 50 characters or less – 10 words – preview pane only
- Pique their curiosity – ask a leading question
- Avoid spam filter words
- Create a benefit. "What's in it for me?”
- Create a sense of urgency - stress urgency and timeliness
- If relevant, make it personal: "Thank you for your gift to..."
- Reinforce brand, be honest, be relevant, be timely
- Do not mislead
- As short as possible – above the fold
- Eye-catching headlines, concise copy, a few strong images
Use a Spam Filter
In your subject line and/or main body avoid spammy keywords like Call Now! Click Here! Free! Subscribe!
Make It Readable, Keep It Short and Have a Call-To-Action
Simplify your emails by writing messages that are clear, concise, and compelling. Less is more! If you have something of value to say, get to the point, say it simply, and make follow-up action clear and easy to accomplish. Copyblogger has listed some valuable tips on writing emails that get opened and read.
Metrics, Tracking and Reporting
Email marketing, when handled properly, is a digital marketing goldmine thanks to the plethora of powerful tracking and reporting tools. These are the top metrics to determine how successful your emails are:
- Bounce Rates (Soft Bounce vs. Hard Bounce)
- Bounce Rate – the amount of emails that can’t be delivered and are sent back to sender
- Hard Bounce – a permanent problem i.e. an invalid email address, inbox not found etc.
- Soft Bounce – a temporary problem i.e. a full inbox or unavailable ISP server etc.
- Click Through Rate (CTR) - the amount of times a link in an email is clicked divided by the amount delivered
- Conversion Rate - the number of recipients who took positive action divided by the number of emails delivered to recipients.
- Historical Comparisons – how well this email performed in comparison to others?
- List Size – the entirety of people that an email will reach
- Open Rate - the amount of emails opened divided by the amount delivered
- Unsubscribe & Spam Complaints – the number of users who unsubscribe divided by the amount delivered. NB, email marketing campaigns can inadvertently fall into interruption-based marketing territory.
If you would like to learn how to use email marketing effectively and ensure your content is relevant, ALHAUS will help you design, create and execute eye-catching email marketing campaigns which best deliver your brand message and grab your reader’s attention.